- 17 April 2006
Under the patronage of His Highness General Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces and President of the ECSSR, the ECSSR organized a workshop entitled: Opinion Polls in the Arab World: Opportunities and Challenges during 17-18 April 2006.
The Deputy ECSSR's Director General for Community Services delivered the welcome address on behalf of ECSSR's Director General, Dr Jamal Sanad Al-Suwaidi, hinting to the importance of opinion polls as means of knowledge.
The Participants delivered papers focusing on opinion polls' opportunities in the Arab region and the challenges facing it, as follows:
– Knowledge and Society: The Epistemology of Survey Research.
– Conducting Surveys and Social Research in the Arab Region: Opportunities, Accomplishments and Challenges.
– Opinion Polls Decision-making and Policy Planning in the Arab World: Making Use of Survey Results.
– Personal Opinions and Public Opinion: The Influence of Survey Research on societal Norms and Values.
– The Extent and Limits of Generability: Approaching Local Political Circumstances in the Arab Region and Elsewhere.
– The Importance of Multiple Methods: Survey Limitations and the Role of Alternate Approaches to Social Research